Shrove Tuesday: Pancake Day
3rd February 2016
Shrove Tuesday is the day that precedes Ash Wednesday. With lent on the way and 40 days of fasting and religious obligations, Shrove Tuesday traditionally provides one last opportunity to indulge and eat whatever you want.
Pancakes are associated with Shrove Tuesday as they represent an all-in-one way of using up fatty foods before Lent. This year Pancake Day takes place on 9th February.
Poundland Pancake Recipe
This is Poundland’s simple recipe for pancakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- Add the flour, eggs, oil and 100ml of milk into a bowl. Whisk them together and add the remaining milk in gradually. Whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Wipe oil onto a pan and heat the pan on medium heat. Pour some batter into the pan and move the pan so that the batter is evenly distributed.
- Cook each side for about 30 seconds and until the pancake is golden brown.
If milk and eggs aren’t enough of a treat, then there are endless topping ideas you can use to pimp up your pancake! Whether it’s chocolate spread, lemon juice and sugar, maple syrup or even cheese, there’s plenty of ways to tickle those taste buds. Here are Poundland’s 10 mouth-watering topping ideas:
- Lemon and Sugar – The good old traditional lemon and sugar topping is the perfect combination of sweet and sour.
- Honey and Fruit – For something fruity and sweet, stack your pancakes with the fruit of your choice on top and drizzle some honey over them.
- Fruit and Yoghurt – For a healthier alternative, add fat free yoghurt with your favourite fruits such as strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Or why not use tropical fruits such as pineapple and mango?
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter – This duo is absolutely yummy. Spread Nutella on one pancake and peanut butter onto another. Make a pancake sandwich with the two and you’ll be in pancake heaven.
- Chocolate and Ice Cream – Who doesn’t love chocolate and ice cream? This is the ultimate combination of indulgence.
- Apple and Cinnamon – Cook chopped apple pieces and boil with cinnamon for a flavoursome filling to your pancakes.
- Fruit and Nuts – Bring some crunch to your pancakes by adding nuts and your favourite fruit on top.
- Tomato and Mushroom – If pancakes are already too sweet for you, fry some tomatoes and mushroom for a savoury filling.
- Bacon, Egg and Sausages – You can still have a full English breakfast with your pancakes!
- Mushroom and Cheese – Fry some mushrooms and melt some cheese for something savoury and creamy.
From flour to eggs and whisks to batter bowls, Poundland in Salford Shopping Centre is your one-stop shop to ensure a happy Pancake Day!