Staying Safe in the Sun
27th July 2016
With such good weather across the length and breadth of the UK, we’re spending much more time outdoors lately.
It’s important to remember that the sun can burn the skin and cause lasting damage, especially for those who have sensitive skin, even when on a ‘staycation’ or having a family barbeque in the comfort of your own garden. This week’s blog from Lloyds Pharmacy gives top tips on staying safe in the sun.
Overexposure to UV-A, UV-B and IR-A rays can cause damage to your skin which can result in burning or premature ageing. Not only can sunburn cause discomfort but it can lead to more unpleasant conditions, including rosacea exacerbations or more serious issues including skin cancer.
The easiest way to avoid skin damage is to limit the amount of time spent in the sun, but that’s easier said than done for some, particularly if you work outdoors.
However, exposure to the sun can have some benefits, such as providing much needed vitamin D and increased levels of serotonin – the happy hormone! Knowing exactly how much is too much when it comes to time in the sun can be tricky, that’s Lloyds Pharmacy have put together some ‘Sun Smart’ tips to help you stay safe in the sun:
10 Sun Smart Tips
- Reapply sun cream a minimum of every 2 hours
- Reapply sun cream after swimming, exercise, sweating and towelling
- Wear water resistant sun cream while swimming
- Use an amount of sun cream equivalent to the size of a golf ball or 6 teaspoons to cover your entire body
- Don’t forget your ears!
- Seek shade whenever possible especially between the hours of 11am and 3pm
- Wear protective loose fitting clothing including a sun hat
- Don’t forget to protect your eyes! Choose sunglasses that protect your eyes against UV
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydrated skin is more prone to sun damage
- If you have a history of sun damage or skin cancer you should always wear the highest sun protection factor and seek shade where and whenever possible
Lloyds Pharmacy’s new Solero suncare range offers families the best protection, whether you have sensitive skin, a skin condition such as eczema or just want to ensure you are covered with triple protection against harmful rays.
The Ultra-Sensitive Solero range has been specifically formulated for those with sensitive skin. It is a simple, fragrance free formulation, designed to cause the least possible skin irritation and is suitable for people with atopic dermatitis (eczema).
The Standard Solero range has “triple protection”, offering added protection from Infrared-A rays (IR-A) as well as UV-A and UV-B.
Solero Kids is ultra-sensitive whilst moisturising to keep your child’s skin soft and supple even in the sun. It is water resistant and has a non-greasy feel.
Caution: Keep babies and young children out of direct sunlight and make sure they wear protective clothing and high SPF sunscreens (higher than SPF 25).
Solero After Sun contains concentrated aloe vera which is recommended for use after spending time in the sun. It provides 24 hour moisturisation and will leave the skin feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
If you would like advice on treating sunburn or managing a skin condition in the sun, visit Lloyds Pharmacy in Salford Shopping Centre and speak to one of the experts.